Thursday, July 28, 2005

Civil War Memoir: Charles Lureman 28th New York Volunteers & 2nd New York Mounted Rifles

The following is from Grand Army of the Republic ~ Department of New York ~ Personal War Sketches of the Members of Charles P. Sprout Post No. 76, of Lockport

Sprout who was with the New York 28th Infantry was killed in Action at Cedar Mountain, Virginia on August 9, 1862

Charles Lureman
Born Germany
Company “A”, 28th New York Volunteers
Company “A”, 2nd New York Mounted Rifles

…The first battle I was engaged in was Martinsburg Va., July 11, 1861, and afterward at Cedar Mountain, August 9, 1862, New Town Va., May 24, 1862, Winchester Va., May 25, 1862, Chancellorsville Va., Wilderness, Petersburg Va. Pegram’s Farm Va., where I was wounded on the 6th day of September 1864…. I was captured at Cedar Mountain, August 9, 1862, by the 3rd Virginia Confederates and confided in Libby Prison and Belle Island Prison from the 10th of August 1862 till October 1862. We were exchanged sometime in October 1862, in a half-starved condition and very ragged.

My most intimate comrades of the old 28th New York are now dead. Those of the 2nd Mounted rifles are Eli Kahler and P. Kinlin. Two of the 28th residing at Lockport, N.Y., are J. W. Little and W. H. Langdon.

I was wounded the second time through the calf of my right leg and had my horse killed under me, April 3rd, 1864 while crossing the Appomattox River near Farmville. Was in hospital thereafter at City Point Va., Baltimore Md., and Buffalo NY at the General Hospital from which I was finally discharged August 4, 1865.

Letters & Postcards on E-Bay