Thursday, May 28, 2009

James Crandal 1792 Rhode Island

Hand written letter dated 1792 with the letter writers seal beside his name.

Know all men by these present that I James Crandal of Westerly in Washington County and State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantation for it valuable consideration to me in hand well and truly paid by Daniel Whitney Late of Newport now residing in the State of Masachusets and herewith I am content do hereby sell asign set over and transfer unto him the said Daniel Whitney a certain ballance reported to be due to me by a committee appointed by the Legislature of the State of Rhode Island and on account of the depreciation of my pay as a solider in the late State Regiment commanded by Coll. John Toppin which ballance amounting to fifteen pounds eleven shilling lawful money as by the depreciation account of said regiment will appear and with the interest due thereon to have and to hold the said transferred balance to to him the said Daniel Whitney his heirs Executor (?????can't make this word out) or asigns forever furthermore I the said James Crandal do hereby constitute and appoint the said Daniel Whitney or his atterney my Atterney and in my name but for his or there use to demand and recover said ballance and acquittance thereof to give in my name and this I give as my Irrevocable power with full power of substitution In witness whereof I have here unto set my hand and seal this 30th day of March in the 16th year of American Independence A1792 Signed sealed and delivered in presents of Sam Bliven George Saunders Washington County of Westerly March the 30th A1792 Personally appeared the above subscriber M'James Crandal and acknowledged the before going instrument to be his free act and deed hand and seal before me. Sam Bliven Justice of the Peace.

This document is for sale on Ebay Item number: 180359723034.

Letters & Postcards on E-Bay