Friday, June 18, 2004

Lydia Giles, San Francisco California, 1881

~1880 OVERLAND JOURNEY~SAN FRANCISCO~MARITIME~

“When I have good pen and some better paper, I will write you of the Rocky Mountains, the Plains, the Hills and Valleys, and the Sierra Nevada Mountains that we crossed coming here. If anyone had told me a year ago that I would come Overland to California, I would not have believed it, would you?”

Lydia Ann Giles,
San Francisco, California,
July 10, 1881

Two great letters written by an exciting and adventurous, female sailor, and pioneer who made the Overland journey through the Sierra Nevadas in 1880. The letters are written by Lydia Ann Giles and addressed for the most part to family members in Tenants Harbor, Maine. She sailed the world over with her husband, Captain Henry Giles who worked for J. M. Grace & Company, San Franscisco, shipping and commission merchants

LYDIA'S FIRST LETTER TO HER SISTER
***Oakland, California--July the 10th, 1881***

“Dear Sister-- Will write you a few lines this evening. I arrived here all right—was eight days—got along nicely. Was sick a week after I got here. Had a bad cold-cough and sore throat. I was not on deck for a week. Was over to San Francisco yesterday.

Sherry and I took the afternoon to ourselves and had a good walk. Took the car and went to Laurel Hill Cemetery. It is a beautiful place. [Laurel Hill Cemetery founded in 1854 is no longer in existence. Also formerly known as Lone Mountain Cemetery, San Francisco County, it was sadly forgotten and left to the vandals. Many of San Francisco’s pioneering politicians were buried there. Many of the bodies were moved and retinterred at Laurel Hill Mound, Cypress Lawn, Colma.] Then we took the steam car and went home with Mr. Chapman[of J. F. Chapman & Co., shipping and commission merchants, San Franscisco] to Sea and spent the evening. His wife was a Levensaller. She has two brothers here.

Capt. Wallace sailed yesterday. The ‘Gibson’ lays at the same wharf we do. Mrs. Speed has spent one day with me and I have been one day there. Henry has a bad cold; other ways, his health is good. He likes the long voyages very much.

I had a letter from Leann yesterday. Said there was a present waiting for her when she got home. A real silver butter dish. Had a bail to it and a place to lay the knife on the side. It was from Edward Gleason, a cousin. Henry has sent her a pair of blankets. Had them made to order. Her name wove in the border. I did not see them, but they must have been very nice. Mr. Chapman is going to give me a pair and Mr. Levensaller will give me a pair.

We intend to go to William Long someday after Henry gets over his cold. He lives at Shawood, a small town back of here. When I have good pen and some better paper, I will write you of the Rocky Mountains, the Plains, the Hills and Valleys, and the Sierra Nevada Mountains that we crossed coming here. If anyone had told me a year ago that I would come Overland to California, I would not have believed it, would you?

Henry says he will send Joe’s pipe by mail. We have two nice great hogs on board. Write as soon as you get this and write all the news. Kiss Eddie for me.

My love to all and a good share to yourself.
Yours affectionately. L. A. Giles.
Henry sends his regards.”

Letters & Postcards on E-Bay