Thursday, December 02, 2010

KIA Private Julius J. Bardoni WW2 Letters

KIA Private Julius J. Bardoni WW2 Letters
Find A Grave Memorial# 56371053
World War II correspondence from Private Julius J. Bardoni, Wyandotte, Michigan, 1941 - 1944.

Some excerpts:

"This place they call 'sunny Italy' brrr, it's cold as ---- in the mountains and when you do get down it's always raining.... I've been overseas for fourteen months, seen action in Africa, Sicily, and now Italy while those slackers are still in the states. They'll probably use those guys in the Pacific but after it's over with over here I'll try to go along with those recruits.... Things have changed since I last wrote you. I've been on this beachhead since 'D' Day and it's been pretty hot at times but maybe not as bad as you might read about in the papers....

Say, are they still rationing gasoline around home, I'd be in a heck of a fix if I'd be lucky enough to get there.... Here's a little tip, get out of communication work because in the artillery it's no picnic, you'd be with the infantry as much as with your outfit if you picked the short straw.... Do your best and try to get in as a paragraph trooper of the chairborne command (ink to you). Cannoneer is your next best bet because you don't have to go on observation posts and be shot at all the time.... Since I've ben on this God-forsaken beachhead I don't much give a damn anymore. You're like a duck on a pond and everybody's shootin' at you. When you're up on the line you die about a thousand times a day. If your outfit isn't attacking you're being attacked and so it goes. I figure a guy lucky if he gets hit and goes to the hospital...."

Handwritten letter to his sweetheart, Phyllis Mlotkowski, of Wyandotte Michigan, from Africa, June 12, 1943. In part: "I have received only seven letters since I arrived November 8.... After we landed in Casablanca we fought for four days and it was all over and they asked for volunteers to go north to the front and I was one of them and I went throught just about all of the Tunisian Campaign. I was in five battles with this outfit, the 168th Infantry, perhaps that's the reason I wasn't getting my mail regularly.... My old outfit is asking for volunteers to come back and I did it again. I'll be back with them before this letter is delivered to you. It will mean more artillery fire and more bombs but I want this war over as soon as possible so we can be together again.... I've been in Tunis four time already and picked up a few souvenirs.... Honey, I love you more than ever but it's like I told you in my last letter, if you think you found someone you like better, well, hon, then you may do what you know is right. I couldn't hardly blame you because Christ knows how long this is going to go on...."

Handwritten letter to Phyllis Mlotkowski, from southern France, September 2, 1944. In part: "Ever since I've been here I haven't had much time for anything. Writing paper is as scarce as furloughs.... France is really beautiful and so are the women. The WACs wouldn't stand a chance with these girls. In my estimation France is better and will continue to be better than all of Italy before the war...."

Group of four picture postcards, 1941 - 1942, each including a message sent by Bardoni from various military posts in the U.S. The return addresses Bardoni use variously place him with the 7th and 168th Infantries.

Sadly, Pvt. Bardoni was killed in France. Here is his burial record which I found online

Name: Pvt Julius J Bardoni
Death Date: 21 Nov 1944
Burial Place: Departement des Vosges, Lorraine, France



Letters & Postcards on E-Bay