Sunday, October 21, 2007

Rockbridge County Virginia, Mary T. Miller

ROCKBRIDGE COUNTY VA LETTER PLEA FOR WELFARE Item number: 190163133213


A woman named Mary T. Miller writes a poignant plea to a Rockbridge County board—probably for welfare assistance. Her writing is quite illiterate with many words misspelled.


“GENTLE MEN OF ROCKBRIDGE COUNTY WHO ATTEND TO THE POOR OF GOD’S EARTH: as I am one of that number, I hope you will do what is just and right by me as I am in bad health and can’t appear myself before you.

Please think of me one minute I waited on that sick(?) man that had known him whom was as helpless as an infant babe. If it was your mother or wife that lost her (?) 5 weeks and could not get rid of her burden, what would not you think this a just cause?

I am a mother of 4 little helpless children and a crippled husband. Please, I will be thankful for whatever you think right for me.
From Mary T. Miller
In care of my mother Margaret Thompson.
I hope you will accept her to tend to this for me.”

Written on reverse is “Mrs. Miller’s petition to board of O. D(?).


This Rockbridge County Virginia letter is for sale on Ebay if you want to take a look just follow one of the links to Ebay on this page.

Letters & Postcards on E-Bay