Sunday, January 03, 2010

1900 NEW LONDON, CT - LETTER RE COCKFIGHTING

Letter from George D. Havens in New London Conneticut with candid content re cockfighting.

New London, Connecticut, with postal cover to D[on] C. Mickey, Fostoria, Ohio.

In part:
"I received your circular...How I would like to get something that can whip the grade of J*ps [gamecock; derogatory term] that they have in Rhode Island. I have had bad luck lately...They was the Black & tan and the j*ps whiped us in good shape."
"I have a main coming off soon here and what I would like to know if you have got 5 cocks that will weigh from 5 1/2 to 6...and tell me if you thnik they can win against the j*ps."
"I have ordered a set of spurs from McGregory."
"I have a lot of game but they are all mostly light birds and they are a little to slow for the j*ps."
Also included is an envelope [empty] to Mickey from W. C. Gregory, Steel Spurs, Wilmington, OH.

Ebay
Item number:
230417954227

Letters & Postcards on E-Bay